After 3 hours of closure, Kabul-Kandahar highway reopened
QALAT (Pajhwok): The Kabul-Kandahar highway was reopened in southern Zabul province after three hours of closure due to fighting on Friday, an official said.
The militants, closing the busy road in Barakzai and Kharjoi areas on the outskirts of Qalat in the morning, searched vehicles, the governor’s spokesman said.
Gul Islam Siyal told Pajhwok Afghan News reinforcements were sent from the provincial capital to the area after the fighting erupted between security forces and the rebels.
A search operation is still ongoing in the area, according to the gubernatorial spokesman, who said the road was cleared at 2pm.
But Obaidullah, a resident of the Noorak locality of Qalat, claimed the road remained shut and hundreds of vehicles stranded. The clash that began at 11am was still underway, he added.
Obaidullah, a resident of the Noorak locality of Qalat, claimed earlier in the day the road remained shut and hundreds of vehicles stranded.
On the other hand, Taliban spokesman Qari Yousaf Ahmadi said the insurgents had attacked logistics convoys in Zabul. He said the convoys were on their way to Helmand and Uruzgan provinces. Seven government troops were killed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.