Security forces, Taliban suffer casualties in Baghlan battle
PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): Police in northern Baghlan province on Friday claimed killing and wounding 23 militants after an attack on security forces’ convoy.
However, the militants rejected the police assertion as baseless. Instead the Taliban said heavy casualties and losses had been inflicted on the security forces.
Baghlan police chief, Brig. Gen. Noor Habib Gulbahari said the rebels assaulted the security forces’ convoy in the Chahar Shanba Tep area of Baghlan-i-Markazi district late on Thursday.
The convoy came under attack on its way to neighbouring Kunduz province, according to the police chief, who said the ensuing gun-battle lasted five hours and a half.
Without providing details on police casualties, Gulbahari told Pajhwok Afghan News 10 of the attackers were killed and 13 others wounded in the encounter.
But Roohullah, a resident of the Shahikhel village of the district, said: "I saw myself two Ranger vehicles, three Humvees and a huge tank on fire as the battles between security forces and Taliban raged."
He had no information about casualties among the security personnel, saying that 17 Taliban were killed, including four commanders.
On the other hand, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed dozens of tanks, Ranger pick-ups and Humvees were either destroyed or seized by the attackers. Many troops were killed and wounded, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.