MPs demand probe into attacks on Shiite mourners
KABUL (Pajhwok): Wolesi Jirga or lower house of parliament members on Saturday accused security forces of putting in place ‘poor security measures’ for Shiite mourning processions, resulting in attacks on the mourners in Kabul and Balkh province.
However, the Kabul garrison headquarters clarified there would have been more attacks on the mourners if inadequate security measures had been put in place in Kabul and provinces.
On Wednesday night, an unidentified gunman opened fire at Shiite mourners in Karta-i-Sakhi shrine in Kabul city, killing 16 people and injuring 54 others.
In Balkh province, a bomb blast targeted a mourning procession, leaving 14 people dead and 30 others injured.
Kabul police had in advance warned of attacks on mourners. The attack in Kabul on Shiite mourners was claimed by Daesh militants. However, no group has so far claimed responsibility for the bomb attack in Balkh.
Shekiba Hashemi, a lawmaker from Kandahar province; “When the Kabul garrison had warned of attacks, why security organs failed in their responsiblity to prevent them. “It was for the second time the garrison warned of attacks which could not be foiled.”
The Kabul garrison had once warned the Enlightenment Movement of attacks from militants before the movement held a protest. More than 80 people were killed and 230 others injured in a suicide attack on the movement’s protest in Kabul.
Ghulam Hussain Naseri, a lower house member from central Maidan Wardak province, said that creation of differences among Afghans was once a British project that had failed.
He said some figures inside the government also wanted to create differences among Afghans.
“The Afghan forces are either unable to ensure people’s security or they neglected the mourners. The garrison commander should be held accountable for this,” he said.
Nader Shah Bahr, another lawmaker, also said the garrison commander, Nabi Ahmadzai, should be introduced to judiciary organs.
Wolesi Jirga speaker Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi condemned the attacks on Shiites and said: “We regret the Afghan forces’ failure to put in place needed measures for protection of people.”
He asked the house security commission to appoint a delegation for investigation into the incidents.
However, Kabul garrison commander Lt. Gen. Nabi Ahmadzai said they had received information about possible attacks from detective and intelligence organs.
He said all needed security measures had been put in place for the protection of mourners. “Eleven Afghan security personnel were also injured in eliminating the attacker at the Karta-i-Sakhi shrine,” he said.
More such attacks were possible if inadequate security measures would have been in place, Ahmadzai said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.