Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

No secret talks with Afghan govt in Doha: Taliban

No secret talks with Afghan govt in Doha: Taliban

By
On
Oct 19, 2016 - 14:30

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Having stepped up attacks in recent weeks, the Talibaninfo-icon on Wednesday denied resuming clandestine peace negotiations with Afghan government representatives in Qatar.

A day earlier, a British newspaper reported Mullahinfo-icon Abdul Manan Akhund, brother of Mullah Omar, was among participants of secret the meetings held in September and October.

The two rounds of talks are the first known negotiations to have taken place since a Pakistaninfo-icon-brokered process entirely broke down following the death in a US drone strike of Omar’s successor, Mullah Akhtar Mansoor.

Mohammad Yaqoob, Mullah Omar’s son, may join the Doha group. Pakistan, which brokered peace talks last year, stayed away from the meetings, a Quetta Shurainfo-icon leader told the Guardian.

One senior US diplomat also participated in the meetings in Qatar, where the Taliban have been active on the diplomatic front over the years. The US embassy in Kabul refused commenting on the renewed peace push.

Attended by Akhund and Mohammed Masoom Stanekzai, the Afghan spymaster, the first meeting in early September “went positively and was held in a trouble-free atmosphere”.

Fierce fighting between government and insurgent forces in Kunduz, Helmand and several other provinces notwithstanding, a second meeting was held in early October.

“We reject the Guardian report regarding the resumption of talks between the Islamic Emirate and the Afghan government,” a spokesman for the insurgent movement said.

In a statement, Zabihullah Mujahid said: “Our representatives have neither met Masoom Stanekzai nor any other government official. Our stance on peace talks remains unchanged. Our policy on this is very clear…”

pr/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update