Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

6 British soldiers presumed dead in Helmand blast

6 British soldiers presumed dead in Helmand blast

By
On
Mar 07, 2012 - 15:02

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Six International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) soldiers were believed killed, following an improvised explosive device attack in southern Afghanistaninfo-icon, the alliance said on Wednesday.

In line with its policy, the NATOinfo-icon-led forces neither revealed the fallen servicemembers’ nationalities nor the exact location of the roadside bombing, a weapon of choice for the Talibaninfo-icon insurgents.

But the Ministry of Defence in London said the blast hit British soldiers who had been on patrol, in an armoured vehicle in Helmand province. The victims’ families had been informed, the Ministry added.

If confirmed, the latest fatalities would take the British forces’ death toll in Afghanistan to more than 400 since 2001, when the UK mission began after the fall of the Taliban regime.

British spokesman Lt. Col Gordon Mackenzie said: "I have the tragic duty to report that six soldiers are missing, believed killed, during a security patrol."

The attack would not deter British forces from carrying out their role as part of ISAF in Afghanistan, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said.

He added: "I utterly condemn those responsible for this incident who will ultimately fail to derail a mission that is protecting our national security at home and making real progress in Helmand."

pr/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update