Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Khost provincial council elections rejected

Khost provincial council elections rejected

By
On
Apr 01, 2012 - 19:11

KHOST CITY (PANinfo-icon): The former head of the Khost provincial council’s administrative board on Sunday rejected last week’s election, insisting that they were still members of the body.

The board election was held after a two months delay on last Thursday in the absence of four members.  Dawood Shah Makeen was elected as the board’s head, Jan Mir Zazai deputy head and Zuhra Jalal speaker council.

Murad Khan Mangal, the board’s ex-head, told a press briefing in Khost City that the election was against the relevant law that required six of the nine members to be present at the polls.

Only five members were there during the election. Resignations of the board’s head, deputy head and speaker were also a must for the election, he added.

Replying to a question, Mangal said that several members of the council had been out of the country. Therefore, the election was delayed, he continued.  

His successor Makeen said they had every right to hold the election in the presence of a majority of members after receiving a letter from the Independent Directorate of Local Governance.

mas/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update