Pajhwok Services

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

11 deminers seized in Nangarhar

11 deminers seized in Nangarhar

By
On
May 09, 2013 - 20:22

JALALABAD (PANinfo-icon): Gunmen seized nearly a dozen workers of a mine-clearing firm in the Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province on Thursday, an official said.

The 11 men from the Mine Detection Center (MDC) were kidnapped in the Zari area before noon, the district chief, Muallim Masoom, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

He accused a local warlord named Sherwali of abducting the de-miners. However, he had no further details, but said tribal elders had been requested to negotiate with the adductors.

An area resident Inayatullah said the kidnappers also took away a vehicle and equipment of the de-miners.

In neighbouring Laghman, two security officials were killed and a third sustained injuries when a landmine they attempted to defuse went off in the Alingar district this afternoon.

The governor's spokesman, Sarhadi Zwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News the dead included two Afghan National Army troops and one local policeman. Another local policeman was injured in the blast.

The security officials had been able to defuse three mines they had found in the area, but a fourth one went off, he said.

ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement