Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Thousands of landmines seized in Kandahar

Thousands of landmines seized in Kandahar

By
On
Nov 18, 2013 - 14:16

KANDAHAR (PANinfo-icon): Hundreds of landmines have been seized and defused in the Shurabak district of southern Kandahar province, an official said on Monday.

Elsewhere in the province, a bomb explosion killed two people and injured a third, the governor’s spokesman, Javed Faisal, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

A tractor, loaded with almost 3,500 landmines, was seized in Shurabak after crossing the Afghan-Pakistaninfo-icon border. The vehicle was on its way to Kandahar City.

Faisal said that police, tipped off about the landmine smuggling attempt, intercepted the tractor between Dawlangai and Chaman Karezinfo-icon areas. The driver ignored police signals to stop.

Police subsequently fired at the vehicle, killing two armed people and detonating the landmines in the tractor. Police and civilians suffered no harm in the incident.

Police spokesman Zia Durrani said hundreds of lives had been saved with the seizure of the explosives.

In Arghistan, he added, a father and his son were killed and a third man wounded in a bomb blast. The Talibaninfo-icon have not yet commented on any of the two incidents.

fbr/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update