Pajhwok Services

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

No evidence civilians killed in Kunar: ISAF

No evidence civilians killed in Kunar: ISAF

By
On
Dec 05, 2013 - 15:26

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): The NATOinfo-icon-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) on Thursday denied having any evidence suggesting civilians had been killed in a US drone strike in eastern Kunar province last month.

President Hamid Karzai on Wednesday told a visiting delegation from eastern Nuristan province that it was his responsibility to prevent foreign troops from raiding Afghan homes.

The delegates, who met Karzai at his office, claimed they had lost relatives to the US drone strike that occurred November 20 in the Aigal village of Want Weigal district.

They said seven people, including children and a woman, were killed in the incident, which they blamed on American forces.

But ISAF in a statement said they could confirm airstrikes had been conducted in Kunar near the Nuristan provincial boundary on November 20 against known Al Qaeda Arab and Talibaninfo-icon leaders.  

“As a result, six terrorists and insurgents were killed.  This operation is consistent with ISAF's ongoing mission to reduce the capability and will of the insurgency,” the statement said.

The force said the airstrikes had carefully been executed to avoid civilian casualties or damage to Afghan homes.  “We have no evidence of civilian casualties related to this operation."

pr/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement