Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Militants pushed back in Helmand battle

Militants pushed back in Helmand battle

By
On
Jul 01, 2014 - 18:31

LASHKRGHAH (Pajhwok): Police chief of southern Helmand province said militants had been pushed back in the fierce battle but landmines planting by rebels had slowed down advancement of security forces.

Brig. Gen. Abdul Qayyum Baqizoy expressed these views while visiting wounded policemen at a local hospital on Tuesday. Talibaninfo-icon offered stout resistance in Sangeen district during the 11 days fight with the security forces.

Scores of police and Afghan security forces personnel, civilians and rebels lost their lives during the firefight that lasted for several days, he added.

The major part of the fight had been over but planted landmines were a source of concern for the security forces and civilians. Fighting had ended in three neighboring districts in the north, he said, claiming of taking back control of some areas which were under militants’ control for the last five years.

During his visit, those wounded soldiers expressed courage to get back on duty after treatment and serve the motherland and nation.

However, a local elder Shamsullah Sehrai told a press conference in Lashkargah that fighting was still underway in Sangin posing serious threat to civilians in the vicinity. He demanded the central government to send reinforcement to control the situation.

sks/rm

 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update