Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Afghan forces launch counterinsurgency offensive in Balkh

Afghan forces launch counterinsurgency offensive in Balkh

By
On
Jan 16, 2015 - 16:23

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Three militants have been killed and six others wounded during an ongoing security operation in the Albarz mountains of northern Balkh province, officials said on Friday. 

Lt. Col. Azar Mohammad, a senior Shaheen Military Corps official, told reporters Afghan National Army (ANA), police and National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) personnel were conducting the offensive.

The security forces had captured some arms and ammunition, he said, adding more than 250 militants from Balkh, Sar-i-Pul and Jawzjan provinces were operating in the mountainous area.

But the acting police chief for Balkh, Col. Abdur Razzaq Qadiri, told Pajhwok Afghan News that they had encountered a small number of rebels so far. The offensive would continue until the area was cleared, he said.

Chaftang area has already been purged of fighters, according to the police officer, who said the security forces had entered Chalikhel, Qolakhel and Narikhel villages.

The militants were unable to put up strong resistance, he claimed, saying locals were extending full support to their security forces by helping in identification of the insurgents.

mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update