Pajhwok Services

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

No final decision on remaining cabinet picks

No final decision on remaining cabinet picks

By
On
Feb 09, 2015 - 13:55

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): General discussion between the Presidential Palace and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) office has been underway on the selection of remaining nominees to complete the cabinet, but a final decision is yet to be reached, an official said on Monday.

About a month back, the government introduced 24 cabinet nominees to the Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon for a vote of confidence, but only nine of them won the trust vote.

The lower house had risen for winter recess. The speaker had announced the house was ready to shun winter vacations and begin confirmation proceedings for the remaining cabinet picks if the president issued a special decree in order to complete the long-awaited cabinet.

Lawmakers refused to grant the trust vote to some nominees who held dual nationality or had problems in their documents.

CEO’s spokesman Asif Ashna told Pajhwok Afghan News negotiations on introducing replacements for the rejected nominees and completing the cabinet were underway between the Presidential Palace and the CEO office.

He also rejected as baseless reports circulated on social media that said the rejected ministers-designate would be reintroduced to head some other ministries.

Ashna said serious and formal discussion on the cabinet nominees would start on Abdullah’s return from Munich.

Ghani took three months to hammer out a cabinet list with Abdullah, who shares control over appointments under a deal following last year's bitterly disputed election.

mds/rm/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Advertisement