Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Presidential Palace spurns reports on night raids

Presidential Palace spurns reports on night raids

By
On
Nov 13, 2014 - 20:35

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Presidential Palace on Thursday said the government would never allow foreign and Afghan forces to conduct nighttime raids on civilian homes.

A statement from the Presidential Palace said media reports that quoted Afghan officials as saying that nighttime raids had been or would be allowed were completely baseless.

 “No kind of military operations during night have been allowed,” the statement said.

It added President Ashraf Ghani had tasked the National Security Council (NSC) to evolve a procedure under Afghanistaninfo-icon laws for Afghan forces’ operations to bring them at par with Islamic and Afghan values and culture.

The president would review the procedure to satisfy himself that it did not threaten Afghan forces planning to conduct operations, the statement said.

Work on the proposed procedure was in progress and was yet to be finalised, it concluded.

The night raids’ deep unpopularity with the Afghan public had long put former president Hamid Karzai at odds with his American backers. Karzai had said the operations violated Afghan culture and values and created anger against foreign forces.

mds/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update