Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Security forces wrest back control of Kunduz City

Security forces wrest back control of Kunduz City

Oct 01, 2015 - 10:26

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Afghan security forces have recaptured Kunduz City, the capital of northeastern Kunduz province, from the Talibaninfo-icon, the government announced on Thursday.

On September 29, hundreds of Taliban gunmen stormed Kunduz City from various directions and captured it after a few hours of clashes with security forces.

Sediq Siddiqui, the Interior Ministry spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces conducted an operation on Wednesday night to drive militants from the city.

He said the security forces were able to take control of the entire city during the operation that continued until 3:30am. NATOinfo-icon forces provided air support, Siddiqui added.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the security forces wrested back Kunduz City despite strong resistance from the militants.

In a statement, MoD claimed 150 insurgents had been killed and 90 others wounded in the offensive. The forces had reached Bala Hesar hilltop, pushing back the Taliban from Pul Rahmat Khan area.

However, police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hussaini said after the arrival of reinforcements, the Taliban advance had been halted.

He said two groups of Taliban,who had taken positions in urban development and intelligence departments, had been eliminated in airstrikes. The rebels who wanted to take some equipment out of the city also came under air raid.

According to Hussaini, Kunduz City had been made cleared of Taliban while Special Forces personnel and police have launched search operations in several areas.

Nowroz Kakar, who lives close to the main provincial prison, said gunbattles had stopped an hour ago, as jets and helicopters flew over the city.

President Ashraf Ghani, in a video conference late on Wednesday, spoke with security officials led by Deputy Chief of Staff Gen. Murad Ali Murad in Kunduz on the security situation.

Ghani stressed implementation of government plans for clearing Kunduz City of Taliban. He directed the forces to protect the lives of civilians at all costs during the operation.




Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.




Twitter Update