Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Kandahar clashes leave 37 Taliban dead

Kandahar clashes leave 37 Taliban dead

By
On
Oct 12, 2015 - 20:46

KANDAHAR CITY (Pajwhok): Thirty-seven Talibaninfo-icon insurgents have been killed during ongoing clashes with security forces in two districts of southern Kandahar province, officials said on Monday.

As many as 25 militants were killed after they attacked security posts in Gorak district and were pushed back in an operation backed by Afghan air force, police spokesman Zia Durrani told Pajhwok Afghan News.

Elsewhere in the province, a dozen rebels were killed during a clash with security forces in Shah Walikot district, according to Durrani, who called the strength of security forces as sufficient to beat militants.

The Afghan forces have so far suffered no casualties during the operations in the two districts, he said.

The governor’s spokesman said provincial police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Raziq was spearheading the joint security operation in Ghorak district, saying rumors regarding the fall of the district were baseless.

However, a Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi claimed their gunmen killed 20 security personnel during the clashes in the district, a claim rejected by security officials.

myn/ma

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update