Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

34 Taliban eliminated in ongoing Helmand offensive

34 Taliban eliminated in ongoing Helmand offensive

By
On
Jan 06, 2016 - 14:12

LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): At least 34 Talibaninfo-icon have been killed and 16 others wounded in a joint operation by Afghan and foreign forces in the Marja district of southern Helmand province, an official said on Wednesday.

Maj. Mohammad Rassoul Zazai, spokesman for the 215th Maiwand Military Corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News the main road leading to the district centre had been cleared of landmines. Earlier, resident had to use the Nawa district road.

Police spokesman2nd Lt. Shah Mahmood Ashnasaid the offensive was still underway and heavy casualties had been inflicted on the Taliban. Security forces have wrested back the control of most areas form the militants.

But Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi claimed security forces had suffered heavy losses in the ongoing gun-battle in Marja. He did not say anything about Taliban’s casualties.

Currently, Baghran, Deshu, Musa Qala and Nawzad district are under Taliban’s control. The government maintains its writ in Marja, Greshk, Kajaki and some other districts of the restive province.

mh/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update