NATO’s RS mission strongly condemns Jalalabad attack

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): NATOinfo-icon’s Resolute Support (RS) on Sunday strongly condemned a suicide attack that killed at least 13 civilians and injured 14 more attending a gathering in the capital of eastern Nangarhar province.

The tribal elders had gathered at the guesthouse of a member of the provincial council, Obaidullah Shinwari, the son of a prominent tribal elder, Malak Osman, who was also injured in the attack.

In a statement, the Resolute Support mission, which is to train, advise and assist Afghan security forces, said reports showed the horrific attack had caused dozens of casualties, killing 13 civilians and wounding several more.

 “The National Unity Government continues to pursue an effective and lasting peace process, however, there are those who resort to senseless acts of violence that result in deaths of innocent civilians,” said Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner, Resolute Support spokesman.   

He said insurgents continued to attack places with a high density of innocent civilians and called the willful disregard for human life as the leading cause of civilian casualties in Afghanistaninfo-icon.

The UN attributed 70 percent of all civilian casualties directly to terrorists in the first half of 2015. There were approximately 6,500 civilian deaths and injuries caused by insurgent attacks last year.

“On behalf of Gen. Campbell and all of Resolute Support, we offer our deepest, most heartfelt condolences to those affected by these senseless attacks,” the RS said, vowing to continue training, advising and assisting the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces to provide stability and counter Talibaninfo-icon and other groups.   

pr/ma