Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban’s plan to overrun Helmand thwarted: Governor

Taliban’s plan to overrun Helmand thwarted: Governor

By
On
Mar 21, 2016 - 18:59

LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The governor on Monday said militants’ attempts to capture southern Helmand province had been foiled and areas lost to the Talibaninfo-icon would be recaptured this new year.

Mirza Khan Rahimi, addressing a gathering of tribal elders and government officials, called the just ended solar yearinfo-icon as full of troubles, bloodshed and loss of civilians and security forces, but said the Taliban’s plan to overrun the province had been frustrated by security forces.

The governor said recapturing areas under Taliban control would be his government’s top priority as part of the New Year strategy to deal with militancy.

He promised major development projects besides boosting agricultureinfo-icon and power sectors of the province.

Maj. Gen. Mohammad Moin Faqir, the 2015 Maiwand Military Corps commander, said the Taliban’s plan to capture Helmand had failed.

He asked residents of Helmand to play a proactive role in strengthening the law and order situation and also asked the Taliban to join the reconciliation process and shun violence.

The Taliban, who have laid siege to Marja district, are currently in control of Baghran, Dishu, Musa Qala, Khanshin and Nawzad districts of Helmand over the past four years.

nh/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update