Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

NATO loses 15 troops in least deadly 2016

NATO loses 15 troops in least deadly 2016

By
On
Jan 01, 2017 - 14:53

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Fifteen NATOinfo-icon soldiers, most of them Americans, were killed in the Afghanistaninfo-icon conflict in 2016, a spokesman for the alliance said on Sunday.

“The number of casualties declined because the alliance is performing a non-combat role of training, advise and assisting Afghan forces,” said Charlie Cleveland.

He, however, did not comment about wounded NATO soldiers and civilians last year.

November was the deadliest month for NATO forces in Afghanistan last year, when four foreign soldiers and civil contractors were killed and 15 others wounded in a suicide bomb attack in the Bagram airbase.

According to Operation Enduring Freedom, 16 NATO forces were killed in 2016, including 14 Americans. The 16 fatalities were the second lowest number since 2002.

Only 12 foreign forces were killed in 2001 when the US and foreign forces launched a military campaign against the Talibaninfo-icon and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Following is the number of foreign forces casualties since 2001 in Afghanistan by each year.

Year           Causalities                    Year                     Casualties

2002                    70                        2009                              521

2003                    58                        2010                              711

2004                    60                        2011                              566

2005                    131                      2012                              402

2006                    191                      2013                              161

2007                    232                      2014                              75

2008                    295                      2015                              27

Helmand has proved to be most deadly province for foreign forces in Afghanistan where 956 foreign forces had been killed most of them British troops since 2001

In Kandahar, 558 NATO troops had died, in Kabul 191, in Kunar 177, in Paktika 146, in Maidan Wardak 130, in Zabul 124, in Ghazni 115 and in Uruzgan 69 during the decade old conflict.

During the same period, 5523 Afghan security forces were killed and more than 10,000 wounded, according to a report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstructioninfo-icon (SIGAR).

The agency has also warned of eroding gains the war-shattered country has made with the help of the international community.

The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) in its quarterly report published Sunday noted the Afghan government lost 2.2 percent territorial control during this year’s fighting.

“Of Afghanistan's 407 districts, 258 districts were under government control or influence, 33 districts were under insurgent control or influence, and 116 districts were “contested.”

There were 101 insider attacks from January 1, 2015 through August 19, 2016 in which Afghan National Defense and Security Force (ANDSF) personnel turned on fellow security forces, killing 257 and wounding 125 others.

“The ANDSF lacks a risk-management system and therefore relies heavily on US forces to prevent strategic failure.”

The Taliban have intensified battlefield and other attacks since August and came close to recapturing the northern city of Kunduz and the capital of southern Helmand province.

The insurgents continue to stage assaults on these two key urban centers and several other provincial capitals, inflicting heavy casualties on Afghan forces.

The conflict-related incidents have caused more than 8,000 civilian casualties in Afghanistan, including more than 2,500 deaths in the first nine months of 2016, according to the United Nations.

SIGAR reported that the United States has committed at least $1 billion for projects intended to improve conditions for Afghan womeninfo-icon, but support for woman having equal access to educationinfo-icon and equal representation in political leadership has fallen since 2006.

“Fifteen years after the United States ousted the Taliban regime, Afghanistan remains one of the worst places in the worldinfo-icon to be a woman.”

Poverty, unemployment, underemployment, violence, out-migrationinfo-icon, internal displacement and the education gender gap have all increased, while services and private investment have decreased, according to SIGAR.

The report says more than 85,000 Afghans sought asylum for the first time in the European Union in the first six months of 2016, noting that the number of asylum applications from April to June was 83 percent higher compared to the same period in 2015.

Nh/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update