Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban siege of Nuristan’s Do Aab district broken

Taliban siege of Nuristan’s Do Aab district broken

By
On
Jan 04, 2017 - 18:02

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Local officials on Wednesday claimed Talibaninfo-icon’s40-day siege of the Do Aab district of eastern Nuristan province has been broken.

Security forces retreated from the district centreafter it was ringed by the insurgents six weeks back. In the aftermath of the siege, locals suffered many problems.

GovernorHafiz Abdul Qayyumtold Pajhwok Afghan News security forces,led by the provincial police chief, Gen. IkramuddinSarea,had been sent to the district for an operation two days ago.

He said the siege was lifted as result of the operation and civilians were once again able to travel to the district center.

A provincial council member, Zinatullah Tanha, confirmed the Taliban siege had been broken. He asked the governor’s house to provide food aid to the war-affected people.

Sohbatullah, a resident of the district, said the road to Do Aab had been reopened.“A truck of food, ghee and other edibles arrived in the district this morning. Prices are a little high but the problem has been solved.”

In the wake of the siege, officials and civilians were unable to travel to the district for purchasing necessary items. The siege also landed residents in a shortage of food and other essential items.

mds/mud

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update