Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Audio Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Owners of Daesh-torched homes in Kot awaiting aid

Owners of Daesh-torched homes in Kot awaiting aid

By
On
Feb 04, 2017 - 15:02

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Residents of the Kot district in eastern Nangarhar province, whose houses were torched by Daesh rebels, complain the government has provided them no assistance far.

They visited provincial council members and other government officials, who gave the assurances of support on different occasions. But the authorities failed to keep their promises of supporting the victims.

Twenty days ago, Daesh fighters burnt around 80 homes in Sei Pai locality, government officials say but residents put the number of the homes torched at 1,000.

Malik Ahmadzai, a tribal elder, said they had frequently met Governor Gulab Mangal, provincial council members and refugee department officials but they were yet to receive any assistance.

“The district chief claimed sharing the issue with the governor. The governor said assistance would reach us on a priority. Weeks on, neither anyone wiped off our tears nor listened to our complaints. There is no one to help us,” he remarked.

Malik Qaher, another tribal elder, accused Daesh insurgents of setting alight more than 1,000 homes. But the government had not yet given the victims any recompense, he grumbled.

He said they victims had been assured of help, but there was no sign of such assistance being delivered. “We believe government officials have divided the aid among themselves.”

Yet another elder from the area, Haji Samkani, said they would travel to Kabulinfo-icon if the local authorities continued to drag their feet on the humanitarian issue.

A group of elders is ready to go to Kabul and stage a protest in front of the Presidential Palace and parliament building besides taking up the issue with higher-ups, according to Samkani.

The Kot district chief, Haji Syed Rahman, agreed the affected people had yet to receive aid. As the area was under Daesh control, officials had been unable to conduct a survey and hence the delay, he argued.

Rahman said they could barely confirm the torching of 80 houses, but people claimed the burning of nearly a thousand homes. He plans to ensure security in the area by establishing security checkpoints before surveying the victims.

The governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said owners of the torched homes had received first aid and the central government had been requested for further assistance.

According to Khogyani, the preliminary list submitted by the district chief to the governor’s house had been sent to the central government and assistance from Kabul was expected soon.

However, provincial council member Israrullah Murad slammed the district chief’s remarks as dereliction of duty. He said a district chief must have complete information about all villages and their populations. “He should know how many houses are there in a village.”

The district chief should have gathered complete information about the houses burnt in different villages and then prepared a list. He believed the district head could have collected the required details through intelligence agents.

In the past as well, Daesh has set ablaze hundreds of civilian homes in the district, but the victims are still awaiting government assistance for rebuilding their houses.

nh/sns/mud

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Etisalat Get more data, Etisalat Afghanistan

Twitter Update