Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Illegal gunmen contribute to Nangarhar insecurity

Illegal gunmen contribute to Nangarhar insecurity

By
On
Jun 19, 2017 - 09:32

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Residents of eastern Nangarhar province complain of increasing movements of unauthorised gunmen, alleging the government has failed to control the situation.

The illegal gunmen are said to be loyal to local strongmen, former warlords and Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon members. The growing presence of the gun-wielding individuals is widely seen as a threat to security.

Khair Mohammad, a resident of Jalalabad, says no one bothered checking groups of armed men moving up and down the city.

“What type of government is this? Security personnel in the city must keep an eye on every armed man to know who he is. There are many armed groups that could not be told apart from rebels,” he adds.

Mirwais Rahmani, another inhabitant of the provincial capital and a civil societyinfo-icon activist, expressed concern over the movement of unauthorised armed men in the city. He claimed the government never went after them.

“The presence of these armed men is contributing to insecurity in the province. We want the government to curb the movement of gunmen, a move that will help maintain law and order,” he believed.

Another civil society activist, Noor Agha, opined human trafficking, murder, burglaries and other grave offences happened due to the presence or armed groups.

“Unfortunately, the provincial administration hasn’t taken stringent steps against illegal armed men. We heard of police arresting these people,” he remarked.

Agha charged police with having developed an understanding with the gunmen. These individuals travelling in unregistered vehicle were never held accountable, he continued.

The provincial government says in line with the decision of the military council, carrying unlicenced arms is not allowed inside the city. The individuals with such arms will not be allowed to enter Jalalabad.

Governor Mohammad Gulab Mangal acknowledged public concerns at the display of arms, saying efforts had been intensified to control the movement of illegal gunmen. He said police were not allowed to bring heavy weapons to Jalalabad from their duty stations.

nh/mud

 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update