Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

2 killed, 30 wounded as fears raised about Kunduz fall

2 killed, 30 wounded as fears raised about Kunduz fall

By
On
Jul 02, 2017 - 18:46

KUNDUZ (Pajhwok): Provincial council members and residents on Sunday expressed concern over the deteriorating security in northern Kunduz province, saying clashes between Talibaninfo-icon and Afghan forces had once again reached the provincial capital’s entry gates.

Kunduz provincial council head, Amruddin Wali, told Pajhwok Afhgan News a clash between Afghan forces and Taliban was ongoing about five kilometers from the governor’s house.

“People were terrified last night as the clash began around 4am today morning, the fight is still ongoing in Taloka area of Kunduz City,” he said, asking the government to pay attention to the security of the provincial capital.

Mansour, a resident of the city, said the situation was worrisome as the militants had reached near the entry gates of the provincial capital.

“The militants once again reached the edges of the city, hundreds of families have been displaced from Taloka and Mullahinfo-icon Sardar areas of the city, the situation may turn even worse if the government does not take urgent action,” he said.

Governor’s spokesman, Sayed Mahmud Danish, said militants launched attacks on Taloka area and on Kunduz-Khanabad highway this morning, but they were pushed back by security forces. He did not provide more details about the clash.

Kunduz Zonal Hospital head, Marzieya Salam, said two dead and 30 wounded people had been delivered at the hospital from the incident area. The people killed in the clash were civilians.

She added 21 people among the injured were civilians and 11 others were security personnel.

The Taliban have not yet commented on their latest attempt to capture Kunduz City.

mds/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update