Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

152 Taliban eliminated in Kunduz last month: Gen. Qadiri

152 Taliban eliminated in Kunduz last month: Gen. Qadiri

By
On
Sep 17, 2017 - 13:02

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least 152 Talibaninfo-icon insurgents have been killed and 70 others wounded during operations in northeastern Kunduz province last month, an official claimed on Sunday.

Brig. Gen Noorullah Qadiri, newly appointed commander of the 20th Pamir Zone, told Pajhwok Afghan News the offensives were conducted by security forces the in northeastern zone, particularly in Kunduz, last month.

He said the operations caused huge casualties to the militants, including some of their key members. Several insurgent hideouts were also destroyed, the commander added.

Qadiri said the security situation in Kunduz was currently satisfactory and plans were being devised to clear more Taliban-controlled areas. He announced a clearing operation would be launched soon in three newly-formed districts.

Residents of Kunduz, who are optimistic about the current security situation in the province, want the government to purge more areas of militants.

Shafiqullah, a resident of Kunduz, said: “The security environmentinfo-icon is better, but large areas are still under Taliban's control; we want the government to clear these areas as well.”

However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid denied the rebel casualties and claimed civilians had been killed and wounded and their houses destroyed as a result of air raids by the security forces.

sa/mud

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update