Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

26 Daesh gunmen slain in ongoing Khogyani operation

26 Daesh gunmen slain in ongoing Khogyani operation

By
On
Dec 14, 2017 - 19:40

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Military officials on Thursday claimed killing at least 26 Daesh gunmen during four days of an ongoing joint forces operation in the Khogyani district of eastern Nangarhar province.

Launched four days back, the Afghan National Army (ANA) is spearheading the offensive that also involves personnel from the border, civil order and local police, backed by commando forces.

The security forces have reached Pirakhel area of the district, but landmines the insurgents have planted and sniper shooters are impeding their progress.

A soldier on the frontline said heavy casualties had been inflicted on insurgents and many areas cleared of their presence. The forces would advance soon on Wazir Tangi area, he said.

Wazir Tangi has been the scene of bloody clashes between Daesh and Talibaninfo-icon fighters one month back, displacing thousands of families.

ANA’s 201 Selab Military Corps commander  Brig. Gen. Mohammad Nasim Sangin, who spearheaded the operation, said more than half of the Pirakhel area had been reclaimed from Daesh and they would soon reach Wazir Tangi.

At least 26 Daesh fighters were killed and more than 30 others wounded over the past four days of the operation.

According to him, the offensive was progressing with success; however, the risk of landmines and snipers existed in their way.

He said about 21 landmines had been discovered and defused and no civilian or security personnel had so far suffered casualties in the operation.

sns/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update