Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Afghan diplomat, HPC official killed in attack on Intercontinental Hotel

Afghan diplomat, HPC official killed in attack on Intercontinental Hotel

Jan 21, 2018 - 18:03

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Afghan Diplomat in Pakistaninfo-icon Dr. Waheed Poyan and of the High Peace Councilinfo-icon (HPC) official Ahmad Farozan have been killed in the Talibaninfo-icon attack on Kabul Intercontinental Hotel in capital Kabul on Sunday, according to reliable sources.

The Ministry of Interior (MoI) said at least six people have been killed and 10 others injured in the hours-long assault on the Intercontinental Hotel but other sources claimed 18 people were killed in the attack.

A reliable source from the HPC told Pajhwok Afghan News that Ahmad Farozan, member of the HPC media wing, had been killed in the attack.

Meanwhile according some reports Afghan diplomat in Pakistan Dr. Abdullah Waheed Poyan was also killed in the attack. Poyan currently served as Afghan consul general in Karachi.

Abdul Haq Umari, a journalist, said that Poyan was with him in a room. Umari managed to rescue himself but Poyan was burnt to death, he said.

Militants launched armed assault on the Kabul Intercontinental Hotel in capital Kabul at around 9:00pm on Saturday evening and targeted civilians inside the facility indiscriminately.

Security force rushed to the site of attack and engaged with insurgent for almost 14 hours bringing an end to the siege of hotel by Sunday afternoon and killed all the attackers.

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban spokesman told Pajhwok Afghan News through an e-mail, that five Taliban stormed the Intercontinental Hotel at around 10:00pm on Saturday evening.

He claimed a large number of foreign security personnel, guests and local gusts had been killed during the hours-long assault.

Mujahid said the attack came to an end at around 11:00 am on Sunday morning.


Related Article

Add new comment



Twitter Update