Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

12 villages cut off as Taliban dynamite Kunduz bridge

Society

ارشيف

12 villages cut off as Taliban dynamite Kunduz bridge

By
On
Jan 23, 2018 - 15:54

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok):  The Talibaninfo-icon have blown up a major bridge disconnecting 12 villages from the Imaminfo-icon Sahib district center in northern Kunduz province, local residents and officials said on Tuesday.

The residents complained about a sudden price hike after the Begum Joy bridge’s destruction that followed a military operation in the troubled district.

Arbab Habibullah, a tribal elder from Qarghaz village, told Pajhwok Afghan News the Taliban destroyed the bridge by emplacing landmines beneath it. “It was dynamited and as a result 12 villages were cut off from the district center,” he said.

The elder said reaching the district center by alternate routes took a lot of time, urging the government to repair the bridge as early as possible because thousands of people living in the 12 villages  faced a great inconvenience.

A resident of Dehqaq Qashlaq village, Najibullah, said the bridge destruction had sent prices of daily use items soaring. He said they had to pay doubled taxi fare to reach the Imam Sahib district by taking alternate road.

Similarly a resident of Nawabad village, Mirwais, said food prices had increased manifold following the destruction of the Begum Joy bridge.

According to him, the price of a sack of flour increased from 1300 afghanis to 1500 afghanis, a five kilogram ghee from 500 afs to 700afs and a 50-kg bag of sugar’s rate jumped from the previous 300 afs to 450afs.

Other residents expressed similar views and urged the government to reconstruct the bridge at the earliest.

Imam Sahib district chief Mahboobullah Sayedi confirmed the bridge had been damaged and said the issue had been shared with the provincial authorities who had pledged an early action.

Nimatullah Taimori, the governor’s spokesman, said the provincial administration had decided to rebuild the bridge soon.

The military operation in the Imam Sahib district has displaced some 2,000 families to other areas, including the provincial capital, Kunduz City.

pk/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update