Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Civilian casualties alleged in Nangarhar operation

Civilian casualties alleged in Nangarhar operation

By
On
Mar 28, 2018 - 15:37

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Several civilians have suffered casualties and financial losses in an operation in the Sherzad district of eastern Nangarhar province, residents claimed on Wednesday.

Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the Afghan Special Forces’ Unit “02” conducted the offensive in the Toto area of the district.

He said the operation was launched on Monday night and ended last night. The spokesman, however, did not have exact causality figure.

An investigation was underway into the collateral damage, said Khogyani, who promised details would be shared with the media later on.

Ajmal Omar, a public representative and tribal elder from Sherzad, complained the security personnel had besieged the area for 24 hours and inflicted financial losses and casualties on civilians.

Omar claimed receiving information regarding injuries to a womeninfo-icon and a child. However, the public representative believed the casualties could be higher.

A number of militants were also killed in the offensive, he said, adding telecom services have been suspended by the security forces, causing residents severe problems.

Ahmadullah, a resident of the locality, received reports that three civilians were killed and several others wounded. But the casualty figures could be higher.

Another resident, named Attal who lost a relative in the operation, told Pajhwok that around 15 civilians had been killed and the highway blocked by security forces.

Dr. Mohammad Amin Sherzad, a tribal elder, said five people were killed and two children wounded. About 15 houses were badly damaged during the operation.

He also informed three insurgents were killed, including a group leader. There has so far no word from the Talibaninfo-icon in this regard.

sa/mud

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update