Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

9 journalists killed in Kabul double attacks named

9 journalists killed in Kabul double attacks named

By
On
Apr 30, 2018 - 12:21

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Institutes supporting journalists on Monday named nine journalists who were killed in a twin suicide attack in capital Kabul earlier in the day, insisting such cowardly attacks would not bring down the morale of media activitists.

The nine journalists were among 25 people killed in the double suicide bombings that left another 40 people wounded close to the National Directorate of Security (NDS) office in the high-security neighborhood.

Seven other journalists were injured. Afghanistaninfo-icon Journalists Federation (AJF) said named the slain journalists as Ghazi Rasouli (journalist), Nawroz Ali Rajabi (photographer with 1TV channel), Salim Talash and Ali Salimi (photographers with Mashaal TV), Shah Mari Faizi, (photographer with the Agence France Presse (AFP), Ebadullah Hananzai, Mahram Durrani and Azadi Radio photographer Sabawoon Kakar, and Yar Mohammad Tokhi, a photographer with Tolo TV channel.

The AJF said the seven injured journalists and photographers worked for Reuters included Nedai Afghan and Aljazeera media houses.

An hour after the attack, AJF officials and Afghanistan media representatives visited the incident area and strongly condemned the attack in a joint statement.

They said today’s attack was a clear act of crime against humanity organized against Afghanistan media. Despite such attacks, Afghanistan media would continue serious reporting and sharing information, they added.

The statement criticized the government and said such attacks in the green zone of Kabul represented the government’s clear failure.

Afghan journalists and media would complaint to the International Criminal Court (ICC) and UNSC in a formal complaint letter to seek investigation into the attack, the source said.

Mohammad Haroon Chakhansori, a spokesman for the president, condemned the incident and said the conflict and attacks in Afghanistan were against national and Islamic values.

“We, the people of Afghanistan including the media, will stand against these crimes, we stand united against crimes against humanity, the government will soon assist the bereaved families and the injured,” he concluded.

Claimed by Daesh or Islamic State (IS), the attack was denounced on national and international levels.

Four policemen were also killed and as many wounded in two back-to-back suicide attacks in the Shashdarak area.

President Ashraf Ghani slammed the deadly attacks as an inhuman and brutal act against civilians, journalists, religious sites and the democratic process.

Ghani described the attacks on civilians and journalists as an unforgivable crime, stressing the need for free media activities. He also ordered the need for the security of journalists and prompt treatment of the injured members of the fraternity.

pk/sa/mud/mds/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update