Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

NAI says threats to Afghan journalists increasing

NAI says threats to Afghan journalists increasing

By
On
May 10, 2018 - 15:57

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Free media advocacy group NAI on Thursday six journalists had been warned by security officials in southern Kandahar province against going out of their homes by citing “security threats”.

Mujib Khelwatgar, NAI chief executive, told a press conference in Kabul that threats to journalists had increased in Kandahar where the National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) and police had warned six journalists known being critical of the government, not to go out of their homes and continue work form their residences.

He said imposing such restrictions on journalists would not help anything and it was an attempt to stop media activities in Kandahar.

Four suspected people who introduced themselves as NDS workers during the funeral ceremony of journalist Abdul Manan Arghand, had told four journalists they were under serious threats, Khelwatgar said.

“But when the issue was shared with security officials they said the men who introduced themselves as NDS officials and police did not belong to them,” he said.

He added the government, particularly security forces, was responsible for protection of journalists. Threats in Kandahar had a negative impact on journalists in other provinces as well and the government should take serious steps in this regard.

“It is a matter of concern that all those journalists who are critical of the government face challenges,” he said.

Khelwatgar accused the government of not sharing information with journalists and said: “A government which is sensitive to critics is not different from the one in North Korea and Iran.”

Pointing to attacks on two police districts in Kabul on Wednesday, he said: “The information we obtained shows six people were killed in a single incident in one province yesterday, but the government intentionally did not want to share that information with media.”

The attacks in Kabul caused 33 casualties to civilians and security forces.

Khelwatgar asked the government to remain loyal to the law and its duties.

mds/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update