Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban reject New York Times report on suicide attacks

Taliban reject New York Times report on suicide attacks

By
On
Jul 19, 2018 - 11:18

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Talibaninfo-icon on Thursday rejected a US media report, saying the militant movement has banned for the first time suicide attacks on civilians. 

A day earlier, The New York Times reported the change in tactics came after a ceasefire between the Afghan government and Taliban expired on June 17.

In its latest report this week, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistaninfo-icon said Afghan civilian casualties hit a record high in the last six months.

Zabihullah Mujahid, Taliban spokesman, was quoted as saying the insurgents had been ordered to stop suicide attacks in cities that might cause civilian casualties.

When approached for comments on the issue by Pajhwok Afghan News, Mujahid denied speaking to The New York Times.

In the NYT report, presidential spokesman Shah Hussain Murtazavi said after the ceasefire Taliban attacks in cities had decreased.

pk/mud

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update