Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Offensive with extra 1,000 troops launched in Ghazni

Offensive with extra 1,000 troops launched in Ghazni

By
On
Aug 13, 2018 - 18:29

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): A four-sided combing operation has been launched in the southern Ghazni City after clashes entering a fourth day on Monday killed around 100 security forces and 25 civilians, the defense minister said.

Defense Minister Tariq Shah Bahrami told reporters in Kabul a military offensive was launched in Ghazni city on Monday morning from four sides and the situation in the city would change in 24 hours.

He added 1,000 additional forces had been dispatched to Ghazni after which the situation would completely change.

The minister said there was no exact information regarding casualties occurred in the past four days but initial reports showed around 100 security personnel and 20 to 30 civilians had been killed. He claimed 194 militants, including 12 key members, were killed and 147 others injured.

Interior Minister Wais Ahmad Barmak said 70 police had been killed in the past four days. He said security forces had launched clearing operations whichhad some achievements so far.

The clearing operations, he said, were going at a slow-pace in order to prevent civilian casualties because the insurgents had occupied local residences, religious places such as mosques.

When asked about the disappearance of 100 Special Police Unit forces, Bahrami said they were 50 in number and retreated to a safe place due to the intensity of the clash.

nh/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update