Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

IECC declares decision on candidates ‘irreversible’

IECC declares decision on candidates ‘irreversible’

By
On
Aug 14, 2018 - 18:52

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) on Tuesday said the decision to disqualify candidates “is final and unchangeable.”

It comes as supporters of some disqualified candidates continued their protest in Kabul for a second day on Tuesday, demanding the IECC reconsider its decision disqualifying a number of candidates.

Ali Raza Rohani, IECC spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News: “Everyone should know that law is a standard and the decision of IECC regarding these issues is final and won’t be reconsidered.”

He said the disqualified candidates had been given two-day time to appeal against the IECC decision and all decisions in this regard had been finalized in provincial and central special IECC commissions.

He made it clear that the Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) ‘has no authority’ to seek documents of the IECC because the source of scrutiny and identification was IECC not IEC.

Supporters of six disqualified Wolesi Jirga candidates on Monday closed the entrance gate to the Independent Election Commission (IEC) offices in Kabul.

About one hundred supporters of the barred election contenders rallied in the high-security capital against the IECC decision. They wanted the panel to reverse the decision.

The rally was taken out by backers of Mullahinfo-icon Tarakhel Mohammadi, Qais Hassan, Ziaul Haq Amarkhel, Sher Ali Ahmadzai, Zardad Faryadi and Akbar Stanikzai.

The protestors complained the Independent Electoral Complaint Commission (IECC) had not informed the candidates before their names were struck off the final list.

The angry demonstrators said the candidates should have been informed by the IECC, not by the media, and should have been given the chance to explain their positions.

Mirza Mohammad Haqparast, IEC deputy spokesman, confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News that hundreds of supporters of some disqualified candidates had closed the commission’s main gate.

He said supporters of Mullah Tarakhel had erected two tents as well. “The protestors are not allowing our employees to enter the compound,” he complained.

nh/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update