Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Protest against IECC decision enters 4th day in Kabul

Protest against IECC decision enters 4th day in Kabul

By
On
Aug 16, 2018 - 19:56

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Supporters of disqualified candidates continued their protest in front of the election commission office for a fourth day on Thursday in Kabul, calling for the decision to be reversed.

The protest began four days ago when the Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) announced the final list of candidates in the Oct 20 lower house election, disqualifying a number of runners, including incumbent lawmakers.

Since then, supporters of some of the removed candidates have been protesting against the decision in Kabul and provinces.

The protestors in Kabul have shut the Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) gate and say they would continue their agitation until the IECC reversed its decision.

Haji Mohammad Nabi Stanikzai, one of the protestors, criticized the government and the IECC for not responding to their demands.

He warned if their demand of reinstating the disqualified candidates to the final list of Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon candidates was not accepted, they would close IEC’s provincial offices as well.

Mohammadullah, another protestor, who has been staying in front of the IEC office for the last four days, said: “We will continue our protest until our demands are responded.”

The protestors who have shut the IEC office in Kabul include supporters of Mulavi Tarakhel Mohammadi, Qais Hassan and Ziaulhaq Amarkhel from Kabul, Sher Ali Ahmadzai and Zardad Faryadi from Kuchiinfo-icon (nomads) zone, Akbar Stanikzai from Logar province, Shayesta Baz Naseri from Kunduz province and Amanullah Hotak from Uruzgan province.

Earlier, Ali Raza Rohani, IECC spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News: “Everyone should know that law is a standard and the decision of IECC regarding the issue is final and won’t be reconsidered.”

The disqualified candidates had been provided two days time to register their complaints against the IECC decision and all decisions in this regard had been finalized in provincial and central special commissions of IECC.

However, the IEC was concerned over the closure of its office by the protestors and said the elections would be probably delayed if the situation continued.

The IEC said all its relations with the government and nongovernment organs concerned remained cut due to the closure of their office.

The commission also criticized the government for taking no action to address the issue and reopen their office.

mds/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update