Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

11 Taliban fighters shun insurgency in Nangarhar

11 Taliban fighters shun insurgency in Nangarhar

By
On
Sep 03, 2018 - 20:32

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Nearly a dozen Talibaninfo-icon militants, including their commander, have joined the peace process and shunned insurgency in eastern Nangarhar province, an official said Monday.

The former rebels were paraded before media persons at the National Directorate Security (NDSinfo-icon) office in Jalalabad, the provincial capital.

Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the 11-member group, led by commander Jalat Khan, joined the peace process thanks to efforts by NDS personnel.

They turned in nine Kalashnikovs, a pistol and a rocket launcher and promised they would not return to the battlefield and as well motivate former comrades to join the peace process, he added.

The group’s commander, Jalat Khan, told media persons: “I abandoned the Taliban because their activities were against civilians and for 'others too.”

He said they had been active against the government for seven years in Nangarhar’s Surkhrod, Khogyani and Shinwari districts and Kunar’s Sawakai district.

pk/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update