Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Civilian casualties blamed on security operations

Civilian casualties blamed on security operations

By
On
Oct 02, 2018 - 11:40

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Besides targeted killings, most civilian casualties occurred last month as a result of air and ground operations by security forces, sparking public concerns.

In its latest monthly report, the Civilian Protection Advocacy Group (CPAG) said nearly 123 civilians suffered casualties in 12 provinces in operations by Afghan and foreign forces.

At least 103 people were martyred and 20 others wounded in operations during the month. Womeninfo-icon and children were among the casualties, the group said.

Most of the casualties happened to civilians in 20 provinces of the country in September when 240 people were killed and more than 350 others wounded.

Nangarhar saw most of casualties. Sixty-eight people were killed and 165 others wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up among protestors in Momand Dara district.

Kabul also witnessed a bloody assault which killed at least 21 people, including two reporters, and wounded 87 others, the statement said.

A civil societyinfo-icon activist was killed in Kandahar and a Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon candidate died in a targeted attack in the capital Kabul. Another one was wounded.

CPAG asked the government to stop harming civilians in nighttime raids and take concrete measures to prevent casualties among ordinary people.

Last month, the group said, 785 civilians suffered casualties -- 262 killed and 524 injured.

pr/sa/mud

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update