Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Kabul hotels owners seek security after yesterday’s carnage

Kabul hotels owners seek security after yesterday’s carnage

By
On
Nov 21, 2018 - 19:57

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Concerned about yesterday’s blast, the Kabul Hotels Union (KHU) on Wednesday asked the government to provide the hotels sufficient security otherwise they would wind up their businesses

The death toll from Tuesday bombing at Uranos hotel has risen to 55 with another 94 injured. The suicide bombing happened when a Miladun Nabi gathering was taking place on Tuesday evening.

Last year, a similar incident happened in front of Qasr-i-Nawin Hotel, in which 14 people were killed and 18 others injured.

KHU head Haji Mohammad Nader Qarghai told reporters here: “We the owners of hotels are concerned about security, we alone cannot secure our hotels and we have to often ask the police for security.”

He said they wrote a letter eight months earlier to the Ministry of Interior to arrange a meeting with the Interior Minister regarding the security of hotels but the meeting could not be arranged as yet.

He said owners of 100 hotels in capital Kabul had invested over $200 million and paid millions of dollars in taxes to the government but still they faced serious insecurity issues.

Mohammad Salam Baraki, owner of Uranos Hotel said: “We made investment and did constructions, but the final result was this. Our complaint is that why the government is not cooperating in the security area with us.”

He said they had not yet ascertained financial losses from the yesterday’s bombing. He said questions were being raised because orgnaisers of the gathering say they had informed police regarding the event.

He also asked the government to cooperate with hotel owners in the provision of security otherwise they would have no option but to close their hotels.

But Nasrat Rahimi, deputy spokesman of the Ministry of Interior, said the government was cooperative with citizens, businessmen and hotel owners as far as their security was concerned.

He said if hotel owners wanted to meet the interior minister, there would be no hurdle in this regard and the opportunity would be provided.

nh/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update