Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

60 civilians killed, 1,890 injured in Helmand unrest this year

Security & Crime

ارشيف

60 civilians killed, 1,890 injured in Helmand unrest this year

By
On
Nov 29, 2018 - 19:20

LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Nearly 2000 civilians suffered casualties as a result of clashes, airstrikes and bomb explosions in southern Helmand province during the past eight months, an official said on Thursday.

Sixty people lost their lives and another 1,890 others sustained wounds including womeninfo-icon and children during the period, said Helmand-based human rights official Muqim Alizai.

Addressing a press conference in Lashkargah, the provincial capital, Alizai said the civilian casualties during the past eight months showed an increase over casualties during the same period last year.

There were 1,895 civilian casualties in Helmand last year.

Civil societyinfo-icon union head Akhtar Mohammad Badizi accused foreign forces of deliberately causing casualties to civilian in some areas.

“The Americans in their blind operations destroy people’s homes and kill people, this is why civilian casualties have increased.”

But the provincial government spokesman, Omar Zwak, disputed the figures provided by the human rights officials. He said civilians had suffered casualties but not as much as claimed by the rights officials.

He said civilians mostly suffered casualties in Talibaninfo-icon attacks and that the government had adopted comprehensive measures to avoid civilian casualties during security forces operations.

ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update