Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

250 citrus fruit gardens in 11 Nangarhar districts on cards

250 citrus fruit gardens in 11 Nangarhar districts on cards

By
On
Dec 03, 2018 - 15:45

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Hundreds of citrus fruits gardens are being planted in nearly a dozen districts of eastern Nangarhar province under the Ministry of Agricultureinfo-icon, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL)’s national horticulture program.

Farmers will contribute 25 percent of the cost on the 250 citrus gardens in Nangarhar and MAIL will provide the remaining 75 percent cost, said Nangarhar Agriculture director Noorullah Sabawoon.

He  told Pajhwok Afghan News the gardens of citrus fruits would be cultivated in 11 districts -- Behsud, Surkhrod, Khewa, Dara-i-Noor, Kama, Goshta, Lalpura, Khogyani, Batikot, Ghanikhel and Momand Dara.

The official said MAIL would provide seedlings, fertilizer and other inputs to farmers for the citrus fruit gardens, which he said were seen as ‘a great alternative’ to poppy crop.

“If the yield of these gardens was good, it would be transported to many provinces and would help counter imported fruits.”

Matiullah, a farmer from Batikot district, said the government should provide other facilities to farmers besides establishment of gardens. He urged the government help to farmers cultivate their lands with different crops.

sa/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update