Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nangarhar journalists worried after colleague kidnapped

Nangarhar journalists worried after colleague kidnapped

By
On
Dec 05, 2018 - 17:49

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Journalists in eastern Nangarhar province on Wednesday asked the government to ensure ‘safe and sound’ recovery of a kidnapped private television head.

The journalists, who assembled in Jalalabad City, the provincial capital, said the abduction of the private Enikas TV channel owner, Eng. Zalmay Latifi, showed other journalists should worry about their safety.

Zalmay was abducted a day earlier by unknown gunmen in Jalalabad in the limits of the fourth police district after his driver was shot dead.

Local officials say the journalist would be rescued soon from his captors.

Local journalists and representatives of journalist supporting groups held a gathering at the provincial Media Center and expressed their concern over growing threats against journalists.

They asked how other journalist could feel secure when a prominent person was kidnapped from a security district in Jalalabad.

Journalist Safety Committee chief for Nangarhar Sher Shah Hamdard said Zalmay Latifi was kidnapped from a high security area where a security post and other important government departments existed.

The journalists said Latifi was in an armored vehicle when kidnapped, raising concerns among other journalists about their safety.

Journalist Safety Committee representative in Nangarhar Zabihullah Ghazi said security forces had failed to protect journalists.

Aryana TV reporter in Nangarhar Rahmatullah Ziarmal said they would take action on their own if provincial authorities failed to recover Eng. Zalmay. However, he did not elaborate.

Broadcasting head at Enikas TV, Shukrullah Pasoon, said their channel had previously received threats and was attacked by Daesh or Islamic State a year ago.

However, he said they were still clueless about the motive of their TV head kidnapping.

Nangarhar governor Hayatullah Hayat said all security organs had been directed to intensify their efforts at recovering Eng. Zalmay. He said the matter was being seriously pursued.

The governor said security officials of the area where the incident took place would be questioned.

Deputy governor Tamim Arif Momand said the kidnapping of Zalmay was an attack on the journalist community and added that security forces had launched joint operations to recover the journalist.

Various journalist groups have condemned the incident and have asked the government to take it serious.

ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update