Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Lawmakers differ on new Kankoor exam strategy

Lawmakers differ on new Kankoor exam strategy

By
On
Dec 08, 2018 - 18:08

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Some Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon members on Saturday endorsed the newly announced strategy for University Entrance Test also known as Kankoor exam as balanced and applicable but others apposed it as unfair.

The ministries of educationinfo-icon and higher education  announced the new Kankoor examination strategy at a joint press conference in Kabul, insisting the new strategy would help ensure uniform opportunities to less developed areas.

Approved by the Cabinet, the new strategy recommends the exam for 75 percent university seats be conducted as per the old method while the remaining 25 percent should be allocated to different zones of the country.

Obaidullah Barakzai, a lower house member from Uruzgan province, termed the new strategy ‘a good formula’ for ensuring a balanced uplift in the country and a tool to reduce the Talibaninfo-icon’s recruitment in undeveloped areas.

He hoped the strategy would help ensure availability of equal higher education opportunity nation-wide as people in far-flung areas were unable to find their way to universities.

His colleague from eastern Kunar province Sakhi Mush hailed the new strategy, saying many people in Kunar had been displaced and deprived of higher education facilities.

He said the university quota should be allocated to every province based on their population so people in backward provinces could also find access to higher education.

But lawmaker Ghulam Hussain Nasari from Maidan Wardak province, opposed the new strategy, which he called against the law.

Asadullah Saadati, another lawmaker from central Daikundi province, also opposed the new Kankoor strategy, saying there was need to remove ‘real hurdles.’ He said the new strategy would discourage talented students, which was unfair.

Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) spokesman Faisal Amin said: “The strategy is not meant to allocate university seats on zone levels. The strategy will provide a transparent way to attract eligible and qualified students to campuses.”

nh/ma

 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update