Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Protestors ask IEC to recount Takhar votes

Protestors ask IEC to recount Takhar votes

By
On
Apr 03, 2019 - 18:48

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Ten unsuccessful Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon election candidates and their supporters on Wednesday gathered in protest outside the Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) office in Kabul, calling for a review of the final results from northern Takhar province.

The Wolesi Jirga elections were held on October 20 and 21 in 32 provinces of the country and a week later in southern Kandahar province.

The IEC has so far declared final results from 25 provinces and the Hindu minority constituency, but final results of ten other provinces are not yet announced.

Yesterday, the IEC announced final results of the Wolesi Jirga polls from Takhar province, declaring as winners Abdullah Bek, Raees Abdulbaqi Malikzadah, Eng. Amir Mohammad Khaksar, Ghulam Sarwar Sadat, Dr. Sayed Ashrafuddin Aeni, Habiba Danish and Najifa Yousuf Bek.

However, today dozens od supporters of the failed Wolesi Jirga candidates of Takhar province gathered in front of the election commission in Kabul and accused the Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) of taking bribes.

Sayed Jalil Sayedzadah, an unsuccessful Wolesi Jirga election candidate, who took part in the protest rally, asked why their votes were invalidated.

He said, “After the announcement of initial results, I shared documents and evidence with IECC and they assured me of recounting and investigating our votes but unfortunately the newly appointed electoral bodies without addressing their concerns announced the final results last night.”

Abdul Khalil Pezhan Parsa, another disgruntled Wolesi Jirga candidate, said: “I collected 7,200 votes, but the votes were decreased to 4,500 in the final list.”

He said they would continue their protest until they achieved their rights and demanded the IEC recount Takhar votes.

A number of other failed candidates and their supporters expressed similar views and urged the government to resolve their issue at the earliest possible. They also warned they would close all highways and Taloqan bazaar if their demand went unmet.

pk/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update