Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Afghan govt strongly condemns Sari Lanka attacks

Afghan govt strongly condemns Sari Lanka attacks

By
On
Apr 21, 2019 - 17:14

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): President Ashraf Ghani on Sunday strongly condemned terrorist attacks in Sari Lanka, in which hundreds of people were killed and wounded.

The death toll from the devastating series of eight bomb blasts that ripped through high-end hotels and churches holding Easter services in Sri Lanka has risen to 207, police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera said. At least 450 people were injured in the attacks.

“Attacking churches and hotels and targeting worshipers is appalling, and Afghan government strongly condemns this heinous act of terror,” a statement from the Presidential Palace quoted Ghani as saying.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families, and we stand in solidarity with Sri Lanka on this dark day.”

The president also tweeted about his discussion with a group of prominent Afghan leaders. “Today, I had a candid discussion with a group of prominent Afghan leaders along with @US4AfghanPeace, @USAmbKabul, and @Commander_RS. Our discussions were focused on the peace efforts, including the next steps in the process, in order to end the bloodshed in Afghanistaninfo-icon.”

Meanwhile, the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned in strongest terms the terrorist attacks on churches, hotels and worshippers in Sri Lanka.

The ministry expressed sympathy with the people and government of Sri Lanka said the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan wished patience for the families of the victims and quick recovery for the wounded. “We stand firm by the side of Sri Lanka.”

Sari Lankan police spokesman Gunasekera told a press conference that three people had been arrested in connection with the attacks that also killed dozens of foreigners.

Gunasekera said the police were investigating whether suicide bombers were involved in all of the blasts.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the attacks in a country which was at war for decades with Tamil separatists until 2009 during which bomb blasts in the capital were common.

ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update