Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Losing candidates set up protest camp in Kabul

Losing candidates set up protest camp in Kabul

By
On
Apr 25, 2019 - 15:33

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): A number of losing Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon candidates on Thursday staged a sit-in in Kabul, demanding the creation of a special court to deal with electoral fraud.

Candidates from Nangarhar, Paktika and Kandahar, who were on the primary list of winners but were removed from the final list, set up a protest tent in Zambaq Square.

The Wolesi Jirga elections were held on October 20 and 21 nationwide except Ghazni and Kandahar provinces. The elections in Kandahar were held a week later.

The Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) announced the final results from Laghman, Daikundi, Samangan, Jawzjan, Bamyan, Parwan, Zabul, Faryab, Nuristan, Nimroz, Kunar, Kapisa, Panjsher, Khost, Badakhshan, Sar-i-Pul, Uruzgan, Balkh, Paktika, Ghorinfo-icon, Herat, Farah, Takhar, Badghis, Nangarhar, Logar, Helmand, Kandahar and the Hindu minority.

But final results from Kabul, Maidan Wardak, Paktia, Baghlan, Kunduz and the Kochi constituency are yet to be announced.

Dewa Niazai, one the protesting candidates from Nangarhar, said she had been dropped from final list and another woman included instead of her.

Without going into details, she alleged: “Anisa Imrani was put on the preliminary list after paying $270,000 in bribe. I have lodged a complaint against her with the Attorney General Office (AGO) and the electoral commissions but no action has been taken yet.”

She warned they would continue their protest until their demands were addressed.

Hela Mujtaba, from Paktika province, said she was omitted from the final list. She accused the IEC of taking bribes.

“We would have been winners if we had paid bribes. We have enough evidence to prove that IEC demanded money to forge results.”

Without naming any IEC official, she said they had produced evidence to judicial and justice organs.

Arezo Safi, from Kandahar, claimed the provincial IEC head had asked her for $100,000 to ensure her success. She said she had video and audio massages that had been submitted to judicial organs.

 She warned of self-immolation if her demands were not addressed. A regulation was also read out by the protestors.

It said: “Our clear demand is the creation of a special tribunal to ask why our names have been removed from the list of winners and return the parliament berths to real winners.”

The runners said the inauguration of parliament before the announcement of final results from all provinces was unacceptable to the entire nation.

They called on the government to delay the opening of the new parliament until election results from all provinces were announced.

sa/mud

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update