Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

UNESCO to provide $2m for Minaret of Jam repair

UNESCO to provide $2m for Minaret of Jam repair

By
On
May 25, 2019 - 19:41

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): A number of residents of western Ghorinfo-icon province have asked the Afghan government and UNESCO to save the Minaretinfo-icon of Jam --- a 12th century tower --- from the threat of floods and collapsing.

On the other hand, local officials say plans have been developed for reconstructioninfo-icon of the minaret and UNESCO also has promised to provide $2 million in this regard.

The Minaret of Jam is a 12th century tower located in Jam village where the Hari River meets the River Jam in Sharhrak district.

According to UNESCO, the minaret which is nine meters thick and 63.3 meters high was built in 1194 during the kingship of Sultan Gheyasuddin Ghori. It is the second highest minaret after Qutb Minaret in New Delhi in India.

Around 35 influential figures and representatives of Ghor province today held a meeting with Hasina Safi, acting information and culture minister.

Mohammad Qasim Haidari, deputy state minister for management of natural disasters and Omara Khan Maqsodi, an advisor to UNESCO, said that the Minaret of Jam was on the verge of collapse due to threats from floods.

Karamuddin Razazada, a Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon or lower house member from Ghor, who attended the meeting, said the minaret remained unconstructed for years and the UNESCO fund for its repair was also not used properly.

However, he did not provide details about the fund for the minaret’s repair but said a wall surrounding the historic heritage site had been destroyed by floods. “This minaret would collapse if immediate steps are not taken for its protection”, the lawmaker said.

Tamim, another Ghor representative, said, questioned why the government was spending millions of afghanis on areas with no history but ignored heritage site with history of over 800 years.

He said 30 percent of the front beauty of the minaret had been destroyed and being destroyed further.

People’s representatives of the western region asked the government, UNESCO and Aga Khan Foundation to prevent the Ghor minaret from being collapsed.

Hasina Safi, acting information and agricultureinfo-icon minister, said that more than 200,000 afghanis had been sent to Ghor to be used for at least stopping threats from floods to the minaret.

Mohammad Qasim Haidari, deputy state minister for natural disaster management, said that 150 people had been tasked to work daily on diverting the route of floods from the minaret.

Hasina Safi said UNESCO had promised to provide $2 million for repairing and protection of the minaret but the organization had conditioned its assistance that the government should also allocate up to $200,000 for the purpose.

She said the Cabinet had approved the payment of $200,000 for protection of the minaret.

mds/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update