Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Multiple blasts: Residents seek explanation from authorities

Multiple blasts: Residents seek explanation from authorities

By
On
Aug 20, 2019 - 19:53

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The residents of eastern Nangarhar province have been in panic since Monday when more than 15 bomb blasts rocked Jalalabad City and nearby districts, asking local representatives and government officials to explain their failure to prevent the blasts.

At least 100 people were injured the blasts that took place in Jalalabad City, the provincial capital, Batikot and Khogyani districts at a time when the people of Afghanistaninfo-icon were celebrating the country’s 100th Independence Day.

Local residents say the occurrence of more than 15 blasts was failure of local authorities who had been busy making preparations for the Independence Day since a month. They say security and intelligence personnel failed to ensure security.

Ghulam Sarwar, who was present at the Nangarhar Zonal hospital, said his six family members and relatives were injured in Monday’s blasts.

Zabihullah, a teenager, said as he passed two check points and a blast struck near a police patrol.

Civil societyinfo-icon activist Burhanuddi Serat said despite security arrangements in place, police were unable to stop the blasts.

The governor was scheduled to inaugurate a minaretinfo-icon in Srara Rod district, but he did not come out fearing more blasts.

Governor Shah Mahmood Miakehel said militants had been suppressed in districts and carrying out blasts showed their weakness.

No anti-government group has claimed responsibility for Monday’s explosions.

nh/ma

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update