Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

2 years on, work on media minaret yet to begin

2 years on, work on media minaret yet to begin

By
On
Oct 19, 2019 - 18:21

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Construction work on the Media Martyrs Memorial Minaretinfo-icon is yet to be launched two years after its inauguration.

The Kabul Municipality two months earlier had pledged launching construction on the memorial but missed that deadline.

The foundation stone of the Media Martyrs Minaret was laid by Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah in 2017 in Pul-i-Bagh Omumi area of Kabul City.

Officials at the time said the minaret would take 18 months to complete at a cost of 50 million afghanis.

But in July last year, some media activists expressed their concern over the delay in starting construction on the Media Martyrs Memorial Minaret. The Kabul Municipality then pledged to launch construction work on the project in two months, but could not fulfill its pledge.

Nargis Momand, spokesperson for Kabul Municipality, recently told Pajhwok Afghan News that the municipality could not launch the construction work of the minaret due to some technical problems.

He said work on the project has been started at another location by Qaisar Afghan Company.

But Zabihullah, engineer at Qaisar Afghan Company, said they were unable to launch work due to some reasons.

Parviz Hameed, head of the Municipality development projects selection, said work on the media minaret could not be started so far, adding that the area where the minaret was supposed to be constructed had been occupied by a septic well.

He said they were looking for another location in the area to construct the minaret and vowed to launch work on the project in two days.

Syed Aqa Hussain Fazel Sancharaki, secretary broadcasting at the Ministry of Information and Cultural Affairs, said 80 journalists have been killed in the country during the past 16 years.

nh/ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update