Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Presidential hopefuls say won’t accept fraud-marred result

Presidential hopefuls say won’t accept fraud-marred result

By
On
Nov 11, 2019 - 17:38

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): A number of presidential candidates on Monday opposed the vote recount process and said they would not accept a fraud-marred result of the presidential election and demanded reelection under an interim government.

The presidential elections were held on September 28 and the preliminary results were delayed twice by the election commission citing various issues.

Main challenger to incumbent Ashraf Ghani Abdullah Abdullah on Sunday said he would not agree to the addition of hundreds of thousands of what he called "suspicious votes" to a planned recount.

The Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) said on Saturday it would recount ballots from more than 8,000 polling stations -- almost a third of the total - due to what it called discrepancies in their system.

Abdullah said Ghani was pushing to include some 300,000 additional votes which did not come through biometric devices used in polling and which must be nullified.

Several presidential candidates including Mohammad Shahab Hakimi, Ahmad Wali Massoud, Faramarz Tamana, Mohammad Hakim Torsan, Abdullah Inayat Nazari and Ghulam Farooq Nijrabi addressed a joint press conference in Kabul on Monday and opposed the vote recount process.

Another presidential candidate Rahmatullah Nabil’s vice presidential running mate Murad Ali Murad also took part in the joint press conference. After the presser, the candidates issued a joint statement.

The statement read the Council of Presidential Candidates had shared a number of recommendations with the government, the election commission and the international community, but their proposals were ignored and the elections were rigged.

The candidates said they would not accept a fraud-marred election result and called for indentifying and introducing the perpetrators of electoral fraud to the judicial organs.

They said the presidential election should be conducted once again under an interim set up before the crisis spread to all over the country.

The statement said the unity government leaders, President Ashraf Ghani and CEO Abdullah Abdullah should resign for failing manage the elections and accept responsibility for future consequences.

Also today, presidential candidate and Hezbi Islami chief Gulbuddin Hekmatyar told reporters that up to one millions fake votes had been cast on the election day.

Without naming anyone, Hekmatyar said documents, biometric devices, records and other things were stolen from 2432 polling stations by individuals whose rival candidates had received more votes in these stations.

The HIA leader said votes in such polling stations should be recounted, but election should be held again in these polling stations.  He opposed the recount of ballots from more than 8,000 polling stations and it was being done without consulting presidential candidates.

ma

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Twitter Update