Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Audio Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Civilian casualties’ claim in Shindand being probed: MoD

Civilian casualties’ claim in Shindand being probed: MoD

By
On
Jan 09, 2020 - 18:23

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Thursday said claims of civilian casualties as a result of an airstrike in Shindand district of western Herat province would be investigated.

A statement from MoD received by Pajhwok Afghan News said Afghan defense and security forces launched a special operation in Shindand district on Wednesday.

The statement said security personnel were unharmed during the operation. The ministry said it would investigate alleged civilian casualties in the operation.

Nangiali, a commander of Mullahinfo-icon Rassoul group, a splinter Talibaninfo-icon branch, was killed along with some other militants in the operation.

However, local residents said a number of civilians also suffered casualties during the offensive.

Abdul Hakim, a resident of Shindand district, said insurgents wearing burqas went to Paikushk area of the district and wanted to launch an attack, but a drone hit them before reaching their target.

He said another drone strike happened when local people were trying to carry away bodies of the insurgents, which caused huge civilian casualties.

Toor Mohammad Zarifi, a tribal elder in Shindand district, said a drone strike targeted the hideout of Mullah Nangiali, a commander of Mullah Rassoul group on Wednesday evening.

He said Nangiali along with 15 other insurgents were killed in the incident, but exact figures were not yet known.

There are reports a number of civilians were also killed or wounded in the incident, he said.

Herat public healthinfo-icon officials say 10 injured people from the incident area had been evacuated to Herat Zonal Hospital.

An official at the Herat public health department, who wished to go unnamed, said all the injured were men and it was unclear whether they were insurgents or not.

The official said the condition of two of the injured was critical.

US forces’ media office in Kabul said they conducted the attack based on the request of Afghan forces.

Mds/ma

 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Etisalat Get more data, Etisalat Afghanistan

Twitter Update