Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Audio Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Security forces remain in defensive position: Khalid

Security forces remain in defensive position: Khalid

By
On
Feb 22, 2020 - 16:42

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Security forces have been in defensive mode since the start of a reduction in violence while reports of attacks from two provinces had been received, an official said on Saturday.

Acting Defence Minister Asadullah Khalid said this during a press conference here along with Acting Interior Minister Masoud Andarabi and NATOinfo-icon Commander Gen. Scott Miller.

He said period of reduction in violence begun from 12:00 am last night and security forces have adopted defensive mode by halting attacks and aggressive posture, he said.

Khalid said there was a drastic decline in attacks and violence compared to the previous days and only limited attacks had taken place.

One attack happened in the Zari district of Balkh province which the Afghan forces had repulsed and another attack happened in the Chinarto district of Uruzgan provinces in which there was no report of casualties.

The defence minister said they were investigating why these attacks happened, adding that militants of the area might have no information from the announcement of the reduction in violence.

He justified these attacks in a large scale conflict adding that it was not a complete ceasefire but a reduction in violence.

It is worth mentioning that the Talibaninfo-icon had ordered its fighters not to visit areas under government control during the period.

Referring to a question on this, Khalid said if the Taliban visited cities they would welcome them with an open hug.

He said security forces will not visit the Taliban controlled areas during the period and they would only defend themselves.

Khalid said that the international community pledges with the Afghan security forces remained intact and during the recent NATO defence ministers meeting this pledge was reaffirmed.

He said the operation against Alqaeda and Daesh would continue.

Andarabi said that a team from the Ministry of Interior, Defence and NATO monitoring the situation and if any incident happened that would be investigated.

nh

Tags: 

Related Article

Add new comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Etisalat Get more data, Etisalat Afghanistan

Twitter Update